The ladies behind the counter

The ladies behind the counter

Allison Senger, Staff Writer

Every morning at 5:30 a.m. the Medina High School cafeteria comes to life. The hard-working individuals begin to take on a day of providing food for the students and staff.

Within the 10,000 square foot kitchen the ladies and gentleman are working with eight ovens, two walk-in freezers, two walk-in coolers, one big store room and one dish washing room. Everyday, all school year long, they are finding new healthy ways to provide the lunches to Medina High School and its inhabitants.

A daily schedule for the cafeteria workers is fairly complex. A couple lucky ones arrive at 5:30 a.m. and start preparing for the breakfast which they serve at 7 in the morning. After breakfast is served, the lunch fest begins with the preparation of the sides dishes: mashed potatoes, soups, noodles, etc.

While that is going on, team members are preparing hot lunches to be taken over to St. Francis Xavier. Those select few will drive the food over to St. Francis, serve it, and bring the dirty dishes back to MHS to be cleaned. After they make, serve and clean up the four lunches at the high school they are allowed to go home after a long day’s work.

Now, who are these adults behind the counter? The manager of the whole operation is Elizabeth Kiousis. She leads 16 other individuals in cooking, serving and selling the food. The other members are as follows:

Elizabeth Kiousis- Manager

Lisa Austin

Lisa Carey

Doreen Csiszar

Angela Gecewich

Pam Hendrickson

Heidi Huber

Nicole Koval

Renee Kucera

Denise Malinak

Kristine Moore

William Perkins

Denise Poorman

Barbara Porter

Denise Soldano

Patty Spade

Sharon Steiner

Tina Wells

Connie Zimmerman

When asked if she enjoys her job Ms. Kiousis replied with, “Yes, I absolutely love it. Wouldn’t change a thing. You’re on your feet all day running around and it just appeals to me a lot more than a regular desk job would.”

It takes a special individual to devote their time to a group of people who rarely say thank you or show appreciation, yet these 17 people embrace the task with open arms each and every school day.