Girls Tennis Serves Success

Sydney Wagner, Staff Writer

The Medina High School Girls Tennis Team has been experiencing great success on and off the court this season.

The team started their season in August, about one week before school began, practicing for two hours every morning. Once school started, the team practiced everyday or competed in a match.

Medina’s record is 12-5 and 7-0 in the conference. At the SJA Invitational Tournament in Oberlin, the team came in third place overall with the help of four girls who took the top four places in singles. At their own tournament, the Medina Junior Varsity Doubles Tournament, they placed third after North Royalton and Solon.

The girls have also been playing regular matches and have been playing well against other teams. They have won against Parma, Ashland, Brunswick, Shaker Heights, Copley, Strongsville, Mentor, North Royalton, Normandy, Cuyahoga Falls, and Highland.

Sophomore Regan Daubenmire said, “I think the team is just really good overall.”

“I like to play matches more than practice because during matches, it’s constant play and it’s more fun,” said junior Jill Canfield.

Jordyn Daubenmire, a junior, said, “Practice is tiring but fun. It’s just a lot of drills and it’s been pretty hot outside lately but at least it’s only an hour.” This year is Daubenmire’s first year playing tennis. She and her sister, Regan, both play on the team.

“I like playing with my sister but we used to play matches together and we would get mad at each other while playing, so we had to tell the coaches that we didn’t want to play together anymore,” said Daubenmire.

Tennis is a team that players don’t have to tryout for at MHS. The number of girls playing tennis increased last year and despite some graduating seniors, this year there are about the same number of girls on the team.

The team’s bond and friendships off the court are helping them create their successes on the court.

Julia Robertson, a junior on the team, said, “I have made a lot of friends through the tennis team and it is very fun.” She also mentioned that the team does things outside of tennis, such as sleepovers and team pool parties.

When asked about team rivalries, Robertson said, “Not usually, but sometimes when you play another team they get very angry if they start to lose.”

This Friday, the team heads off to the conference tournament in Solon, hoping to secure a conference title.