Working Outside the Classroom

Ally Campbell, Staff Writer

Of course, the first “job” for students is their studies. Students spend about thirty-five hours a week at the school, not including extracurriculars.  

However, many students have jobs outside of school where they spend another ten to twenty-five hours each week.

Students work anywhere from party stores to martial arts studios. Each job offers the opportunity to develop a unique set of skills and to build professional relationships.

Some students even pick up a few odd stories from their work experience. Read on to hear what students have to say about their jobs.

Q: Where do you work?

Jensen Tata: Holly’s Ice Cream and Yogurt.

Ally O’Connell: I work at Party Station.

Sam Navicky: The Men’s Warehouse.

Holly Rundle: Handel’s Ice Cream.

Jacob Seamus: The Rec Center.

Jordan Boettcher: Buckeye Super Wash.

Andy Newman: I work at Kim’s College of Martial Arts.

Jessica Garra: Panera.

Meagan Clardy: Lagerheads.

Alexa Toth: Western Reserve Masonic Community.

Q: What does your job description include? What work do you do?

Jensen Tata: I make yogurt, prepare toppings, clean, and work the register.

Ally O’Connell: Well, I fill balloon orders. I stock and count inventory and I work the register.

Sam Navicky: I am a customer service associate. So I help customers with anything they need while they shop.

Holly Rundle: Well, I’m a manager and scooping ice cream is my passion. I serve customers, make the ice cream, and manage the money.

Jacob Seamus: I’m a lifeguard.

Jordan Boettcher: I dry cars.

Andy Newman: I am a head instructor of Tae Kwon Do.

Jessica Garra: I’m an associate. I make salads and sandwiches and sometimes I run food to people.

Megan Clardy: I’m a hostess. I seat people and I buss tables.

Alexa Toth: We are dietary workers, so I’m a waitress for the elderly.

The jobs students have require them to complete a wide variety of tasks. Students make their money by doing anything from teaching Tae Kwon Do to scooping up ice cream.

Q: How many hours do you usually work per week?

Jensen Tata: 20-25 hours.

Ally O’Connell: I work about 15 hours.

Sam Navicky: 25.

Holly Rundle: It changes from winter to summer but around 20.

Jacob Seamus: 10-15.

Jordan Boettcher: 20-25 hours a week.

Andy Newman: 16.

Jessica Garra: Like 10-20.

Meagan Clardy: 10-15 hours a week.

Alexa Toth: During band, usually like 12, but once I’m not busy with school, usually 20.

Jobs are a big time commitment for students. Students have to learn how to manage their time and balance work, school, and extracurriculars. Student jobs also help them develop and improve a number of other life skills.

Q: What skills do you think you have gained working there?

Jensen Tata: I have become more independent since I work by myself. Also problem solving because when something goes wrong I have to fix it by myself.

Ally O’Connell: Organization and customer service.

Sam Navicky: Responsibility, people skills, and understanding dress clothes.

Holly Rundle: Management and people skills. Communicating. Oh, and working under pressure.

Jacob Seamus: I’m CPR certified. I know how to work with other people and deal with bosses.

Jordan Boettcher: I’ve become better with people, more sociable. And stronger.

Andy Newman: Leadership, confidence, and business skills.

Jessica Garra: I’m more reliable.

Meagan Clardy: Communicating with people.

Alexa Toth: Patience.

As much as student’s jobs are meant to help them grow and gain experience, they don’t always have to be so serious. Students are able to enjoy their workplace.  

Q: What is your favorite thing about your job?

Jensen Tata: My favorite things about my job are that my hours are perfect for my schedule and I get to have ice cream frequently and that my friends come to visit.

Ally O’Connell: I like blowing up balloons and I like doing balloon arrangements.

Sam Navicky: My co-workers.

Holly Rundle: I get free ice cream and I have strong scooping arms.

Jacob Seamus: I get good hours.  

Jordan Boettcher: Being able to move around and be outside a lot.

Andy Newman: I wear robes to work. And no shoes. And the kids.

Jessica Garra: I like getting food on my breaks. 50 percent off.

Meagan Clardy: The people I work with.

Alexa Toth: I love all the residents. They’re like a bunch of extra grandparents. And I like the people I work with.

While working, students occasionally encounter some weird situations. However, learning to deal with new people and customers is all part of the fun.

Q: What is the weirdest thing that has happened to you at work?

Jensen Tata: One time I was talking to this man at work for about half an hour and then I realized that he was my friend’s grandpa.

Ally O’Connell: I told a little boy, “Bye,” and he told me that he loved me. He was like th. Also, the little kids like to invite me to their birthday parties.

Sam Navicky: One time a man asked me to zip his pants for him. Another time I went to measure someone and he gave me a hug.

Holly Rundle: One time (actually multiple times), a lady drove up to the window thinking it was a drive-thru.

Jacob Seamus: Nothing super bizarre has happened to me at work.

Jordan Boettcher: Someone telling me to put my tip money aside for surgery to get longer arms.

Andy Newman: One time a kid held my hand after class and told me that we should hang out. I’ve chipped a tooth there. I got kicked in the face. I broke seven slabs of concrete.

Jessica Garra: Some lady said that her family ordered their food to go and she ordered her coffee seperately, so she wanted to take the glass mug home so she could leave with her family.

Meagan Clardy: A guy showed me a magic trick then tried to buy me a drink.

Alexa Toth: Probably when a lady in a wheelchair asked me to pull up her pants but we’re not allowed to do that.

Students who pursue jobs outside of school are able to learn from their hard work and bring in some cash while they’re at it. The places students find employment are as diverse as the students themselves. Each job offers a new set of lessons to teach and challenges to overcome.