Filling Medina with Sparkles

Lexi Baumann

On Saturday September 5, the Sparkle cheerleaders took to the track of Ken Dukes stadium to help the Medina junior varsity cheerleaders cheer on the football team for the first time this year.

The kids participated in cheers like “We are the bees” and “Put your hands up”.  Although it was an extremely hot morning all of the participants kept high spirits and cheered the junior varsity football team to victory.

The program promotes inclusiveness between students with disabilities into activities they would usually not be included in.  The squad will participate mostly on Saturday games with the Junior Varsity.

The team meets once a week on Thursdays.  At practice the high school cheerleaders will review cheers and play a game or two with the Sparkle kids.

The main coordinators are Wendi Clardy and Amber Hill and they started the program in 2012.

The main goals of the program are to allow special needs students be a part of our community and cheer alongside the high school cheerleaders,” said Clardy.

The program contributes a service to the community and also helps the high school cheerleaders to be comfortable, patient, considerate, and kind to everyone’s differences.

“We would like to continue spreading awareness to the Medina community, sending out a positive message to all athletes about acceptance.  We would love to add more interested Sparkle cheerleaders and give more opportunity for them to be involved in the community,” said Clardy.

The cheerleaders continued their season with performances at the Homecoming game and parade.  Sparkle cheerleaders cheered their last game on Saturday, October 10.  

Here is a video created by the video production class introducing the Sparkle cheerleaders.