Evolution of The Swarm

Jake Rogers, Senior Writer

“LET’S-GO-BEES!! LET’S-GO-BEES!! LET’S GO BEES!!!”

Whether it’s on the field, on the court, in the pool, or on the track, this chant has been voiced by Medinians in attempt to pump the team up to victory.

Medina is currently in a contest run by Cleveland.com for the title of “The Best Student Section in Northeast Ohio.” The contest started with 35 schools in the first round of competition.

The top eight schools with the most votes online advanced to the quarterfinals, which are currently underway.

If any school deserves the title, it’s the Medina Bees.

The history of the Medina High School student section goes back to the 1960’s when the group was called “Pep Club.”  Students would meet once a week and brainstorm ideas for the upcoming events. Ideas included a certain color everyone would wear and cheers to hype up the players.

Fifty years and a new name later and our student section is still going strong.

In the winter of 2000, Medina’s Boys Basketball team made it all the way to the Elite 8.

It was Game 4 of the District finals at Midview. Over a hundred Medina fans attended the game. Medina’s student section was gigantic. It was the game of the decade. Newspapers referred to MHS fans as ‘a swarm of Bees.’ The name stuck and from that point on, Medina’s student section was called The Swarm.

With every big group, a leader is needed in order to get things moving. In the fall of 2009, Liam McLaughlin was selected to lead The Swarm. Every year the title of Swarm Leader is passed down to whomever the Swarm leader believes can take on the responsibility. Currently, the Swarm Leader is Bailey Meuler.

Every game, the Swarm dresses in a certain theme. These themes include; white out, black out, green out, neon out, beach theme, redneck theme and many others. It is the Swarm leader’s job to pick the theme.

The Swarm is now on social media. Swarm leaders use Twitter to get the word out to the students on what the theme is and updating scores for the games. The Swarm has nearly 2,500 followers on Twitter.

“The Swarm unites us as school and brings everyone together no matter what kind of person you are, to cheer on the team and bring that energetic atmosphere to the game,” said Chris Hassinger, Medina’s Boys Basketball Head Coach.

It’s no doubt that Medina has spirit. Don’t believe me? Then come to one of the games and see what everybody is ‘buzzing’ about.

VOTE for our Medina Bees SWARM!

Voting in all quarterfinal matchups is open until Monday, Oct. 19 at noon. Votes are permitted once per hour and do not carry over from previous weeks.