The unsung musicians of MHS

A look at the Medina High School Orchestra program

The unsung musicians of MHS

“It takes a lot of driven individuals that really want to play this type of music,” said junior violist Evan Moreland.

Driven indeed, the Medina High School Orchestras had their first concert of the year on October 15th at the Medina Performing Arts Center. Along with the high school orchestras performing, the 7th/8th grade orchestras from both A.I Root and Claggett Middle schools performed as well.

The MHS Orchestra program itself is made up of three different orchestras which include: String Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, and Symphony Orchestra.

String Orchestra is made up of almost 70 members and is comprised of the four main string instruments: violin, viola, cello, and the double bass. Auditions for the group are required only if you have not been playing since middle school, or if you new to the school district.

“With this many people, there’s always a chance to play with someone new,” said sophomore violinist Meghan Hummel.

Sophomore violinist Daphne Orme described another side of the larger group saying, “It’s very overwhelming when it comes to concerts.”

String began the high school portion of the concert by performing “La Folia: Variations for Strings” by Arcangelo Corelli, and “Concerto for Strings, RV 158, Mvt. 3” by Antonio Vivaldi.

Next on the concert was Chamber Orchestra, MHS’ smallest orchestra, consisting of only 20 members.

“I really like it because you pay attention more to the group as a whole,” said senior cellist Holly Rundle. “You don’t even need the conductor because you rely in each other.”

This audition-required group meets once a week after school for rehearsals.To be in this group you must also be a part of MHS’ Symphony Orchestra. Similar to String, only the four main string instruments are showcased in this orchestra.

Chamber performed “Clair de Lune” by Claude Debussy and “Highlights from Scheherazade” by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

Afterward, Symphony Orchestra concluded the concert with their two pieces “Fanfare For The Common Man” by Aaron Copland and “Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor” by Alexander Borodin.

The true differentiating factor of Symphony from the other orchestras is the inclusion of woodwinds, brass and percussion instruments along with the string instruments.The fact that Symphony is comprised of these additional instruments really makes a difference when it comes to performing.

“Considering I was in String for the first two years,” said junior violist Elissa Chambliss, “it’s significantly different, [and] it’s really cool to be able to hear it all together.”

“It sounds cool, and since I’m also in band it’s nice to hear the two together,” said freshman cellist Katie Kissner.  

Although not seen often in the limelight, the orchestra is a group of talented young musicians that strive for success on a daily basis.

The next MHS Orchestra concert is at 7:30pm on Tuesday, December 8th in the PAC. Admission is $6 for adults and $4 for students and senior citizens.