I have to go see about a movie

A Review of "Good Will Hunting"

Katie Salai, Staff Writer

Released in January 1998, “Good Will Hunting” became an instant classic, winning two Oscars (“Best Original Screenplay” and “Best Supporting Actor”) in the year of it’s release. It details the story of Will Hunting, played by Matt Damon, a directionless intellectual who spends his time as a janitor at M.I.T.

When he is discovered to be extremely gifted in math by Professor Gerald Lambeau, played by Stellan Skarsgard, he agrees to be taken under his care to avoid serving prison for assault charges. This includes court-required therapy via Lambeau’s estranged friend (also a therapy teacher), Sean Maguire, played by Robin Williams. From the sessions, Hunting finally thinks more about his relationships along what his future may hold.

Although the movie holds themes that could relate to any age group, it has more than it’s fair share of profanity and sexual references. “Hunting” was rated “R” by the Moving Picture Association of America for “strong language, including some sex-related dialogue”. Mainly because it’s set is diverse as the rundown neighborhoods of South Boston to the widespread campuses of Harvard and M.I.T; the most common location of the movie seemed to be at bars.

However, even if it seen as excessive, the crude language gives the audience a better understanding of the characters, in their most raw, uncensored, state.

Overall, the film covers topics such as the protection of one’s self by pushing people away, not letting the past define you, and the power of letting go. These themes are demonstrated throughout the film by revelations from various characters and the situations they find themselves in.

Finally, what really made the plot come to life was the thoughtful performances and mood set by it’s versatile actors. In conclusion, “Good Will Hunting” is a ‘90s classic that will forever be remembered by the values and ideas that we can still relate to today.