Perks Of Being A Wallflower: A review

Perks Of Being A Wallflower: A review

Lexi Baumann, Staff Writer

In the Perks Of Being  A Wallflower, the adaptation from the book to the motion picture, Charlie played by Logan Lerman is beginning his high school years as a complete introvert. You can tell right away when you’re introduced to the character that something is not quite right as Charlie seems disconnected. A group of seniors, Sam played by Emma Watson and her brother Patrick played by Ezra Miller, befriend Charlie and make his first year and their last year at high school the best it can be.

The movie is a good representation of what happens to a person when they go through mental abuse as Charlie experiences doubts about living as a side effect of post traumatic stress disorder. The PTSD was caused when his aunt sexually assaulted him and he would often see her hurting herself. This leads Charlie to attempt to take his own life and he is fortunately unsuccessful. This movie gives the viewer many different emotions and tries to convey the problems that a mentally unstable person has throughout their daily life.

The setting is simple, a common suburban neighborhood. I feel the director used this setting to show how common mental illness is and how anybody can be mentally ill even if they have a good life. The character selection was great because all of the actors were just quirky enough to fit perfectly together.

I highly recommend this movie if you are looking for a more sad movie with feel good moments in between. I would watch the movie again and again, in fact I have. The message of the movie really speaks to the viewer showing how you can have a normal life and still have prominent problems.