Medina gains a win in varsity basketball against Brunswick

Bees place first in the GCC league

Derek Demlow, Staff Writer

The heated rivalry between the Brunswick Blue Devils and the Medina Bees continued this Tuesday, January 5, in Medina High School’s Richard H. Clevidence Gymnasium as the Freshman, Junior Varsity and Varsity basketball teams all battled in close contests.

The evening kicked off with the Freshman teams from both schools facing each other. Our Battling Bees ended up falling short of a victory, with Brunswick ending the game on top with a score of 49-41.

Next, the JV team took the court, playing a close game throughout the whole game against the Blue Devils. But Brunswick left victorious yet again, defeating the JV Bees with a heartbreaking buzzer-beating score of 44-42.

Things were looking bleak for the Bees, but it wasn’t over yet. The Varsity basketball game, pinning the Bees and the Blue Devils against each other for the final time that night, was a spectacle to behold.

The Swarm had outfitted themselves in bright neon colors, still showing all of their school spirit. By the end of the night, Medina had come away with a victory of 61-56 over Brunswick.

The Varsity game was neck-and-neck for its entirety. Brunswick started off fiercely with multiple 3-point baskets in the first quarter, but that wasn’t enough to stop our Bees. Senior John Teske led the team with 23 points, 10 rebounds and an invigorating dunk to help boost Medina’s morale.

Junior Jackson Sartain helped raise that score with another 17 points, making 4 out of 5 of his attempted 3-point shots. Junior Ben Geschke refused to let the Blue Devils come ahead with a major steal in the fourth quarter and sealed Medina’s victory with 3 free-throws at the end of the game.

The Bees cheered at this win, as it improved their record to 9-2, asserting themselves first place in the Greater Cleveland Conference league. The rivalry continues, as the Bees and the Blue Devils will meet again at Brunswick on Tuesday, February 9.

Until then, the Freshman, JV, and Varsity basketball teams will play at Shaker Heights this Friday night, January 8.

MHS All Sports Schedule

If you’d like to watch this game for yourself, check out the website for our local cable TV channel, MedinaTV.org .