“No Foolin'” – April 1, 2016

Medina's First Annual Improv-Comedy Performance

Derek Demlow, Staff Writer

In early January, an Improv Club meeting took place after school on a Wednesday. Students gathered to improvise scenarios and games to make each other laugh, just like any other club meeting. But at the end of this meeting, a very special announcement was brought to the attention of Medina’s wittiest members.

The big announcement was revealed to be an improv comedy show taking place right here in MHS, called “No Foolin’”, scheduled to take place at the Performing Arts Center on April 1, 2016, from 7:30-9:30. The performance is open for anyone in the community to attend, and tickets will help raise money for the Collin Kiousis Cancer Fund.

Auditions for “No Foolin’” are broken down into two groups; standard comedians and an improv team. Standard comedy acts will consist of comedians performing for as long as 45 seconds to five minutes, and these auditions will take place Thursday, February 4, from 6-7:30 p.m.

The improv team will come onstage and improvise their comedy act based on given characters/situations. These auditions will occur the following Thursday, February 11, from 2:30-4 p.m.

All comedians will be judged during auditions by a group of Improv Club officials, including president Andy Newman, vice-president Alex McMullen, secretary Kyle Gottschalk, and treasurer Kaley Kralovic. The auditions will also be supervised by associate principal, Mitch Charvat. The performance will be technologically run by Jonathan Bonezzi.

Andy Newman, one of the founders of Improv Club, gave this announcement to the members of club, informing them all of how to audition and who will be there. He knew that the Improv members would be excited to attend and perform, along with spreading the word of the performance around the school quickly.

“I figured if we could get a pretty big audience, then that would spread the word better,” said Newman when asked why he decided to wait to announce the performance until January.

“I was waiting for the perfect moment to light the ‘spark’, so it could spread and still be a roaring flame by the time the show came around.”

Newman had come up with the idea in October 2015, while hosting a typical Improv Club meeting. During a standard meeting, students come together in the Senior Commons directly after twelfth period to act out sketches and characters, play fun games, and watch a different special act per week. Thinking of how much enjoyment was occurring between students, Newman thought about sharing that fun with the entire community.

He proceeded to meet both teachers and PAC staff members alike, including PAC manager Debbie Muniak, who helped his vision become a reality. After lots of meetings and planning with PAC members, “No Foolin’” was finally planned to take place on April Fool’s Day of 2016.

He also wanted to raise money for the occasion, and decided to help out a local individual he knew of; Collin Kiousis. Collin graduated from Medina the 2014-15 school year, and was diagnosed with colon cancer during his time as a MHS student. Newman knew Collin as a “friend-of-a-friend”, and after hearing of how he started his own cancer fund, Newman was more than happy to help out.

“If we are to raise money for anybody, then it should be somebody from Medina. It helps keep the money in the community,” said Newman.

If you’d like to help out the community, come join the the first annual “No Foolin’” comedy performance this April 1. If you’d like to audition for a part in the show, you can either attend the comedy audition on February 4 at 6-7:30 p.m., or the improv audition February 11 at 2:30-4 p.m.