National Honors Society

Chloe Wise, Staff Writer

Medina High School students who exhibit leadership, are active in their school and community and hold a GPA of at least 3.5 are invited to apply for National Honors Society.

Aside from the recognition, NHS membership has many benefits.

“Students benefit from an opportunity to be around a good group of kids that have similar academic abilities and discipline,” said Senior NHS President Steven Stenquist. “You also benefit by being able to hang out in the tutoring center with Mrs. Grenfell during your study halls.”

Students accepted into NHS participate in an award banquet in which they are formally recognized.

As a member, there is the responsibility of going to additional meetings to discuss volunteering and scholarship opportunities.  NHS members run the Student of the Month program and volunteer as tutors in the tutoring center.

“NHS will benefit you in the long term by giving you an impressive honor to put on college and scholarship applications,”  said Stenquist. “It will also make many scholarships more accessible to you and teaches you valuable service skills you can use later in life.”

Anyone with questions can contact NHS officers Steven Stenquist, Olivia Sency, Alyssa Kurkel, or Sunny Levine or go to Ms. Nicol, room 1120, located downstairs on the green side of the building.

The deadline to apply is February 22, 2016. No late applications will be accepted.