Teched out!

Medina High School's Technology Club

Emily Cassidy

More stories from Emily Cassidy

Graduation day
May 10, 2016
Boys’ Track
April 13, 2016
Brrrr!
March 4, 2016
Teched+out%21

Technology Club is in full gear at Medina High School, preparing for their next competition in April. Every Monday and Friday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. students meet in room 3005 to design and assemble robots, weld, and write code for robots to bring them to competitions, or simply tag along to watch and learn.

“We have fun,” said Mr. Fuller, Tech Club supervisor.

Any student who is interested in technology or engineering is welcome to join, no matter what level of experience they may have.

“It’s a diverse group, there’s no doubt about that,” says Fuller, “anybody can get involved.”

Some students involved in the club have been building robots for years, but Fuller says, “We have other people who are interested but they haven’t had that background [in technology], who learn by absorption.”

“My favorite part is building the robots,” President Ryan Woods said. “It’s fun to see your thoughts and designs go from being [in your head], to actually a physical thing that works.”

No other club at MHS allows the same industrial science opportunities that Tech Club does.

Woods says, “There’s no other really engineering club, so it’s the best way to get out there and express yourself and your engineering skills. It’s a lot of fun being able to express yourself with these outlets.”

Four years in Tech Club has helped Woods realize his true passion and what he really wants to do. He now plans on attending college for robotics engineering.

“A little bit of me wanted to do that [before tech club] and this really showed that up,” said Woods.

In addition to meeting twice a week, Tech Club attends two competitions a year which are held in January and April. They spend all meetings preparing for these competitions. In the weeks leading up to competitions, they end up working 3 to 5 days a week to make sure all robots are prepared.

Competitions last all weekend, some even starting on Thursdays, and ending on Saturday nights. Typically, they will last from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Fridays, and from 7 a.m. from 7 p.m. on Saturdays.

Tech club is currently working towards their final competition of the year in April.