Making noise while staying silent

Medina's student body participates in the National Day of Silence

Today at Medina High School students and staff spoke up by not speaking at all.

The Day of Silence was created by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) at the University of Virginia in 1996 to raise awareness of the bullying that occurs to LGBTQA+ students in schools, leading to the absence of the students in class.  Since then, it has spread across the country and globe.  

Day of Silence is the largest fundraiser for the GSA, as the money from the wristbands goes to Medina’s program.

“The money goes to support the GSA organization so we use it for things like the Ally coffee break in October where we provide snacks and do advertisement in the community, mementos for the seniors, and this year we are using money for senior honor cords and other things that come up throughout the year,” said Mrs. Jen Oehler, advisor of Medina’s Gay Straight Alliance.  

During the Day of Silence, students remain mute to signify the silence of LGBTQA+ students that are unable to express their sexuality or gender due to fear, danger to their safety, and other reasons.  Students can take a vow of silence to not talk during class, during their lunch periods, and to not use their social media accounts.

“Officially, we started in 2010 with the first GSA group,” said Oehler. The program has continuously grown throughout the years.

“We’re hoping to get a big turnout, we’ve had 200 students participate in the past couple of years and this year the GSA has had much larger attendance than in years past, so we’re optimistic,” said Oehler.

For more information on GLSEN, check out their website here.