LAX to the MAX

Alyssa Hudak, Staff Writer

Medina High School’s girls’ varsity lacrosse team is one of the best in the state. The Bees were state champs in 2010, 2011 and 2012. The goal for the team this season will be to win a fourth state championship.

The team crushed their season debut against Magnificat, 22-7. They have a whole new team, said goodbye to last year’s nine seniors, and gained a new coach. Nikki Boltja, a former Bees lacrosse standout, who led her team to this outstanding victory.

Captains, Sarah V. and Christina Nikolai, were key standouts chosen by their coach, to lead the new team. Many of the players predict that the team will be very strong because of other standouts Alyssa Baranuk and Carly Ross.

The girls lacrosse team has trained future college athletes such as Sarah V., a Virginia Tech commit. In addition, eight other seniors were recruited last year to play at the collegiate level.

“We have a new coach and practically a whole new team losing nine seniors last year,” said Sarah, “so everything is a new approach.”

The girls have been training hard in the off season and, “are looking forward to playing lacrosse with some great friends everyday.” The girls have started the season off strong, beating Magnificat, Solon and Rocky River.

Their next game is on April 23, 2016 against New Albany, 7PM at New Albany High School.