Graduation day

Emily Cassidy

More stories from Emily Cassidy

Boys’ Track
April 13, 2016
Brrrr!
March 4, 2016
Teched out!
February 26, 2016
Graduation day

With graduation growing closer, Medina High School seniors are counting down the days until they can begin the next chapter of their lives. MHS Principal Andy Brenner shared some of the details about graduation, and what to expect.

Graduation will be held on May 21st at 1:00pm at the James A. Rhodes Arena in Akron. It is expected to be about one hour and 10 minutes long. Brenner says about 4,400 family members or friends are expected to attend the ceremony, and anywhere from 580-620 students are expected to graduate from the class of 2016.

From the standpoint of a counselor, there is plenty of behind the scenes work. Mrs. Kristi Cavalier, school counselor for students whose last names Sc-Z , noted that this can range from organizing seating, recruiting people to help, and preparing the ceremony itself.

For attendees, seating is first-come first-serve. Because parking is at a premium, arriving early is recommended.

Students ranked in the top 35 of their class are seated in front, with everyone else seated alphabetically behind them. This year is the first year that all students are wearing green robes, which will allow seating to be alphabetical, therefore easier to follow.

Brenner says in order for the ceremony to run smoothly, he asks that attendees don’t cheer for individual students, so all names can be heard. He asks that students remain polite, respectful and “don’t do anything stupid.”

Congratulations to all Seniors, and good luck next fall!