A Stressful Lesson

Chloe Nace-Rolland, Staff Writer

Education is an essential piece of everyone’s life. While this is true, it does not only place stress on students, but families as well. The New York Times recently published a piece in which parents reported that their children’s homework causes family stress and tension. In a situation where a child needs help and cannot receive it from their parent, they may get angered. This then only leads to more arguments and the child not liking the workload even more.

Homework can be especially difficult when a student is not developmentally ready for the work assigned. What students should do is communicate with our teachers and either ask for more help or for a lesser amount of homework. We go to school for around seven hours and home should be a place where we get to relax, not worry about more notes and writing essays. This is especially true, in many people’s eyes, because homework is a prime stressor in the majority of students’ lives.

Although too much homework can be hard to deal with, a Memphis Parent writer, Glenda Faye Pryor-Johnson, argues that students develop four qualities when they complete homework: responsibility, time management, perseverance, and self esteem. While this may be true in some instances, when a child is being drowned in homework they aren’t improving their self esteem; they may even be doing the opposite.

Therefore, between the stress and the difficulty of completing it, is homework in a majority of classes even worth it? Homework to reinforce what one learned in class and for extra practice is understandable, but we should not be bombarded with the amount of homework we receive. CNN detailed a study, performed and co-authored by Denise Pope, that showed a direct relationship between stress and physical impacts. Examples of such are migraines, ulcers, other stomach problems, sleep deprivation and exhaustion and weight loss.

There needs to be a correct dosage and I do not believe it has been carried out. It is suggested that it should be ten minutes added per school year starting in the first grade. That means as a senior one should have around two hours of homework. As a freshman, I have had many days a week where I have more than two hours.

After surveying 4,300 students, the study found they had on average three hours of homework each night, but some had as many as five. This happened in schools that have a policy which limits the amount of homework students are allowed to receive. Schools should truly focus on teaching in class and only giving homework relating to such topics. Many teachers give homework that is unnecessary just to add points, not assignments benefiting the student. The positive effects of homework in today’s age do not outweigh the negative, and this needs to change.