StuCo kicks off ’16-’17 school year

Kaitlin Farnsworth

2016-2017 Officers; President Holly Schneider, Treasurer Megan Varley, Secretary Kaitlyn Novicky and Vice President KK King

The Medina High School Student Council is a devoted group of students working hard to make a difference not only in the school, but also in the community. On Tuesday, August 30th, the MHS StuCo held their first meeting of the 2016-2017 school year.

During this first meeting, StuCo discussed upcoming events they have planned for this year. Among these were the proposal of Recycling Club, Homecoming, and Spirit Week themes.

Junior Dayna Nguyen brought exciting details about her idea for a Recycling Club. Recycling Club will be overseen by advisor Mr. Tad Oehler, and has a lot of potential to be a great addition to MHS.

The goals of Recycling Club will be to reduce waste at MHS and in the community. Recycling Club will go into classrooms after school, pick up recyclable materials and put them in a recycling bin in Medina. This club will also participate in community clean-ups and other services to help the environment.

Student Council President Holly Schneider believes it is important for StuCo to admit new clubs to the school. Schneider said, “It is part of Student Council’s job to adjust to whatever the student body wants. We should hear our peers’ opinions and implement the changes they want to ultimately effect the atmosphere in a positive way.”

In two weeks, StuCo will take a group vote after reading Recycling Club’s constitution and will determine if it will become an official club or not.

Homecoming this year will be on Saturday, October 15th. The official theme is “Homecoming: A Benefit Ball”.

Megan Varley, Treasurer, said, “‘During our first meeting in May, we broke off into classes, and decided what topic/charity goes with the theme for this year.”

Each grade level chose a charity to support; Seniors chose Collin Cares, Juniors chose the World Wildlife Fund, Sophomores chose Autism Awareness, Freshmen chose the SPCA. Their assigned hallways will be decorated for those charities.

Tickets will be $17 each and can be bought online beginning September 29th and end October 13th. All school fees from the previous year must be paid before purchasing a ticket.

In order to get excited for Homecoming, Student Council organizes a Spirit Week.

Member Jacob Semus said, “It’s a good way to get people involved in school spirit and get excited about upcoming events.”

Be sure to listen to the announcements for these spirit days so you don’t miss out on College Wear Day, Tacky Tourist Day, or Class Color Day!