Ace for Grace Preview

Ace for Grace Preview

Ron Glasenapp

The MHS Volleyball teams are hosting Elyria High School on October 4th in an annual charity event for the Mary Grace Memorial Foundation. The Mary Grace Foundation was created in memory of Mary Grace, who lost her life to breast cancer in 2005.

The organization gives grants to families struggling with this disease in Medina and Stark counties. All proceeds made from the Ace for Grace event will go towards the foundation.

This year, MHS has had three solid teams in volleyball. The freshman team is 7-5 overall and 3-2 in the conference. Coach Jason Schellenberger said, “Our big wins were against Strongsville and Brunswick.”

The JV Volleyball team received a new member part way through the season. Schellenberger said,  “We did have one player move up from the freshmen team to JV. Her name is Jillian Lentz and she is a middle hitter. She has really improved throughout the season. Jillian is a quick learner, and this has helped her to make the move from the freshman team to JV. She always has a positive attitude.”

JV is currently 6-4 with a 3-4 conference record.  

JV Team Captain Claire Leupp said, ¨I love doing the event because it goes towards a great cause. The people that go out to support and are in the stands are amazing for being there and I’m glad our volleyball program has an opportunity like this.”

Varsity has a 9-9 record overall and are 3-6 in the conference.  Their big wins this year were against Shaker Heights and Highland.

Starting at 4:30pm on Tuesday, be sure to bring out all your pink gear and go to the MHS Gym to support our girls. If you wear your Ace for Grace shirt, you get in free!