Dealing with depression

Abby Daubner, Staff Writer

Often, during the arduous years of high school, teenagers go through multiple changes in their school, social, and private lives. However, there are times when they feel alone and they stop telling you anything except ‘I’m fine’.

These are the times that you should consider that your child might have depression. There are several ways to tell if someone has depression, but a professional opinion is always best. Here are the most common signs of depression:

Grades usually start to slip, sleeping too much or too little, eating a lot or refusing to eat at all, and losing interest in activities that they used to love. Other signs include being secretive, isolation and easy irritation.

In the health classes taught here at MHS, all teenagers learn about these signs and how to deal with them. Teens are also taught to tell a trusted adult when their friend has these signs, but how do you, as a parent of a depressed teen, handle it?

First of all, take your child to a counselor that’s not in the school system.

“Pertaining to depression, getting outside help is very important,” Says Mrs. Sarah Grether, one of the school guidance counselors. “We suggest going to a physician and an outside counselor as well as offering our support during school.”

Next, find out what might be causing the depression. Sometimes bullying can be the spark that causes depression to set in.

“We take bullying very seriously,” said Grether. “When I talk with parents, we discuss where it is happening and try to shut it down as quickly as possible.”

Finally, don’t take your child’s phone. It cuts them off and makes them feel isolated. That doesn’t solve anything, it only makes it worse.

“Our goal is to keep all students safe, mentally and physically, and that includes working to stop any activities that may be detrimental to their well-being.” stated Grether.

Overall, it’s important to be supportive and if you ever see signs of depression in your child, get them help.