Painting for a cause

MHS+students+and+alumni+moments+before+they+began+painting.+

Katie Salai

MHS students and alumni moments before they began painting.

In it’s fourth year, Art 1.11 continued to raise money for art scholarships while inspiring the community at the same time. On January 11th, 45 students, alumni, and Medina City Schools staff members gathered in the Main Cafeteria to paint 24 x 30 inch canvases in only 111 minutes.

“It’s really fun and it helps out with scholarships, and this year, I hope I can use one of them,” said senior Katie Semus; this was her second year participating in Art 1.11.

The creator, MHS art teacher and department head Ms. Bobbi Foy, emphasized the three main points of Art 1.11. First, to have a live performance of “artists at work”; second, to create artwork that will hang in MHS for one year; and third, to eventually auction the artwork for MHS art scholarships.

“We outgrew the Senior Commons and now we outgrew this place!” said Foy about the growth of Art 1.11.

I think it’s great it goes to scholarships, typically in these events, the money just goes to the school, but this goes back to the art students,”

— Freshman Abby UpDyke

The participants comprised of all 15 students of the Honors/AP Portfolio class, Claggett Middle School art teachers Mrs. Renee Kennedy and Mrs. Laura Whitaker, MHS special education teacher Mr. Mike O’Brien, retired art teacher Mrs. Kathy Kraus, and 26 other MHS students and alumni.

“It helps me get faster at painting,” said junior Abby Fox. This was her third year participating in Art 1.11. Fox plans to participate her senior year and also apply for the art scholarships.

The Medina community was welcomed to attend the event from 3pm to 5pm and peruse the artwork that was being created right before their eyes. All of the artwork created this year will be auctioned online during next year’s Art 1.11.

Items from last year’s Art 1.11 can be bid for until 11pm tomorrow at https://www.32auctions.com/2016art111. All of the artwork made this year will be displayed at the Medina City Schools Pancake Breakfast on January 28th.