MHS students showcase their talents

Parking Lot Seagulls performed at last year's SPICE

SPICE has given us a reason to work hard and demonstrate our musical abilities, ”

— Senior Tarah Eastwood

The annual SPICE event will be held at the PAC at 7pm on January 20 and 21st. SPICE  stands for Students Participating In Creative Entertainment. Various acts such as solo acts, bands, and dancers are in the show. These acts are accepted by audition only and go through a very selective process.

“Acts are chosen based on almost entirely on talent and the quality of the performance. Is it an act that the audience will enjoy watching? Other factors can include variety, the number of students involved in the act,” said Drama Club advisor Mr. Ron Douglas.

There are many ways for students to get involved on and off the stage. SPICE provides an opportunity for students to perform or help with backstage crew jobs. Senior Kaley Kralovic has been a SPICE emcee for a few years now.

Kralovic said, “I love being an emcee because one of my favorite things in the world is making people laugh. Being a part of SPICE means I get to goof off and be myself. The stage is my second home and I get such a rush being up there. It’s been a great way to make new memories and friends.”

For some groups, SPICE is one of few opportunities they get to perform.

“SPICE is definitely one of my favorite parts of the school year because it really gives students who may not be able to showcase their talents a performing space. I am one of the co-leaders of Sirens, an all-girls acapella group, and it’s really fun to be able to perform for larger crowds and show off all of the group’s hard work.” said senior Tarah Eastwood.

All the earnings from the event go directly back into the program and help benefit the Drama Club department in many ways.

¨The evening SPICE performances are a Drama Club fundraiser. Proceeds go to cover any costs associated with SPICE, assist with Drama Club expenses including expenses associated with the Spring Play, and Drama Club scholarships,¨ said Douglas.

There is also an opportunity for students to see select acts during in-school SPICE this Friday, January 20th during third period. Buy an in-school ticket for $3 during a lunch period. Those who are in the white neighborhood third period will buy an orange ticket, those who are in the green neighborhood third period will buy a green ticket. For the weekend performances, you can purchase a $8 ticket at the door Friday and Saturday night to see more acts.