We all float on

Junk boats were raced two at a time on Forest Meadows Lake.

The tradition of the Medina High School Junk Boat Float continued for its sixth year at Forest Meadows Lake. Made up of 27 student teams, the friendly competition of homemade boats was quite the spectacle.  

The rules of the Junk Boat Float have remained the same: no more than three students per team, the base of the junk boat must be made of plastic (however other “junk” can be added to the structure of the boat), and all students who will be on the boat must have a life jacket.

“The only thing that’s really new this year is that Mr. Krejci (an MHS science teacher) is coming to help supervise,” said science teacher Mrs. Niemantsverdriet (Niemo).

What hasn’t changed is the reasons for student involvement; many students cited friends, good memories, and a motivation to bring environmental protection to the limelight.

I thought it would be fun and I wanted to make some great memories with my friends,” said sophomore Raegen Coersmeyer. Coersmeyer and fellow sophomore Anna Darrell built their boat out of plastic barrels and old decking.

“I participated in the Boat Float as it is a fun event that also benefits the community and the environment by raising awareness to pollution,” said senior Jake Wickert. Wickert, along with Zach Robertson and Nolan Andrasik, won the Boat Float for the second year in a row with their boat, “Boatily Floatily”.  

Niemo emphasized that whether students have experience or have no experience, everybody can learn something from the process.

“As a school event, it’s STEM, plain and simple. It’s your science, it’s your technology, it’s your engineering skills and you can still have fun no matter how high level or low level you are on any of those things,” said Niemo.

Over the course of the school day, the teams raced their boats one-on-one in a bracket system until the fastest boats were crowned the victors. Not only was it a win for the students, but the funds raised from the event will pay for two new bottle-filling stations at A. I. Root and Claggett Middle School.