Seniors lead the way!

The 2017 varsity boys’ cross country team has kicked their season into gear. The team has come in first place for two of the four meets so far this season. They have had four very good team results from all their meets at Mentor (first place), at the Seneca ‘Tiger classic (first place), at Tiffin (second place), and the OHSAA early season invitational (third place).

The boys’ season starts in the summer with training.

Senior Noah McKee stated,  “I ran over 600 miles and we have practice almost every day at 9 a.m in the morning,  a lot of fun was had using training schedules from the coaches.”

Not every run is as successful as the last.  “At the Medina Festival sophomore year, I rolled my ankle after the first mile, but I didn’t want to drop out. I got a terrible time,” McKee stated.  “It was brutal.”  

Every runner has their favorite course or that course that they hate every time that they have to run it.  Ryan Oleksiak said his favorite course is Mentor High School. “It’s a very scenic course.” His least favorite course is Tiffin High School because of the crowd.

Many friendships have been formed on the team according to senior Alan Dravenstott.

“Probably getting to run with my best friends that I made in the last three years was one of my favorite parts of the cross country,” Dravenstott said.

The boys said being a member of Medina High School Cross Country is a great honor. They carry out this honor “by showing leadership as a senior” according to Dravenstott, “and with being there for the freshman.”

It going to be hard next year when they are in college, there’s a lot of things that the runners are going to miss the most about being on the team.  According to Oleksiak,  he will miss “Having something to do after school, besides homework and work.”

Every team always needs a leader. According to senior Zach Robertson, “It is interesting being the team leader, we have a whole bunch of us leading together, we have six of us leading the team and we are always having our differences, but overall it is rewarding to lead one of the best teams in the state.”  

Everyone has something they are looking forward to during the season, Robertson mentions, ”The state meet and what comes after that, hoping to be one of the top two teams and possibly make it to Nationals.”

The other senior boys cross country members are Nolan Andrasik, Trevor Ransbury, Clay Cerny, Alex Stamper, Matthew Sluder, Alexander Loeper, Jakob Wickert, and Nathan Southwell.  

Over the weekend, the boy’s team placed 7th with a score of 21 points in a highly competitive seeded race in Louisville, Kentucky.

Cheer on the boys on October 7 at the Medina Cross Country Festival at Ella Canavan Elementary School.