Let’s see what’s happening at the PAC

Inside Look on PAC Events

‘An Evening with Martin Luther: Evolution of Faith’ was held at the PAC on Sep. 16.

The Medina High School Performing Arts Center, more commonly referred to as the PAC, is a very busy place where there’s always something happening on stage.

“Last year, nearly 38,000 people attended the 100-plus events that were held on the PAC stage,” stated Theater Manager Debbie Muniak.

Mary Meyer, a MCS facilities coordinator, used last year as an example when highlighting the many shows that are performed at the PAC.

“MHS held four orchestra concerts, three choir concerts plus four SHOWTIME performances, and three band concerts,” Meyer said. “The middle schools music groups performed nine concerts, (MHS’ Drama Club production) ‘Catch Me if You Can: The Musical’ had four performances, CAMEO also performed their summer production of ‘Next to Normal’ with ten public performances, the Brass Band of the Western Reserve had five performances, and lastly ‘An Evening with Mark Twain’ and ‘Romeo and Juliet’ were performed.”

The stage is also used for many meetings and events. “Buckeye High School holds their graduation ceremony here each year. The Medina County District Library brought Emily St. John Mandel, the author of ‘Station Eleven’, for a public appearance. A local church holds their holiday services in the Performing Arts Center at Christmas and Easter,” Meyer said.

In addition, organizations are able to rent out the PAC. “When the facility is not being used for a school-related activity, we make it available to the community-at-large. We have a strong rental base at the PAC that includes local dance companies and performance groups who pay to use the stage,” said Muniak. “Outside groups are charged according to the type of usage”, but “Medina City Schools groups are not charged,” said Meyer.

Since Medina High School is a public school Muniak said, “It is important that everything we do is appropriate for all ages. Therefore, there are general guidelines we share to be sure their shows represent the values and mission of the Medina City Schools District.”

There are many things that students are able to get involved in at MHS that performs at the PAC if they are somebody that really enjoys the spotlight.

“There are several ways to perform at the PAC, for example, you  can join a musical or theatrical group that uses the space. Or, rent the space for your event,” said Meyer.