Medina swings it!

Klara Bergholtz

More stories from Klara Bergholtz

Medina High School's girl's golf teams

Medina High School's girl's golf teams

Medina High School's girl's golf teams

Eighteen holes, accurate aiming, good swings, and few strokes. The Medina High School girls’ golf teams look back on the past season where the junior varsity girls ended undefeated and the varsity team made it to Districts. The secret behind the girls’ successful season seems to be their strong team spirit.

“It’s not like another sport where like the football team is there and rooting each other on directly,” stated varsity captain Alyssa Drehs. “But the bonding you form with your playing partner is a very strong bond because you guys are together for a lot of hours.”

The varsity team placed 3rd in the Sectional Tournament at Sweetbriar, which got them to Districts on October 10th in Massillon. The team missed qualifying by four strokes and finished sixth with a 338.

“We had a big fog delay which helped us relax and chill,” stated Coach McGrath. “Alyssa Drehs shot an even par of 72 which is amazing along with good rounds from Maddie Debnar, Rebecca Prandi, and Erin Frey totaling 338. We had a great day where we took 6th place out of 16 teams and the 14th best score in the State!”

Not only was it a good day for the Lady Bees as a team. After shooting an even-par 72, Drehs will be heading to the State Tournament for the second time in her four years at MHS.

It is something every coach strives for. It is the ultimate competition setting where the cream has risen to the top. That would be Alyssa Drehs as she has been determined in every way to put herself in contention for State and as her coach for 4 years, it has been my goal for Alyssa to achieve this phenomenal goal. Needless to say, this is a thrill!” stated McGrath.

This was McGrath’s fifth season as the coach for the MHS girls’ golf teams. The teams have had a lot of highlights during the season, Districts and the long-wanted win against Solon High School were two of them. The Lady Bees beat Solon 171-167 on September 6th.

Senior captains Drehs and Prandi will be heading off to college next year. Still, McGrath thinks that next year’s varsity team has a chance to make as a successful season as the team did this year.

“It is very possible, but many factors play into this scenario. Each golfer must make a commitment to excel and succeed in lowering their scores dramatically. They must do golf-specific conditioning in the off season along with taking lessons and playing in summer tournaments,” McGrath explained.

Another highlight of the season was the title the junior varsity team received. They started the season out strong, finishing second at the Canton Glen Oak Invitational. The team continued their success and ended their season as undefeated with seventeen wins. McGrath is looking forward to seeing some of the JV girls on varsity next year.

“We will have a strong returning team and look forward to some of the JV players climbing up the ladder for Medina Girls Golf to succeed,” said McGrath. 

The girls’ state golf tournament is being held in Columbus next week. There will be a walkthrough on the morning of October 19th near the end of 2nd period in the gymnasium hallway in Alyssa’s honor and to wish her good luck. All students and staff are welcomed to join.