• Print Edition on sale all this week! $1!

• applications for the 2018-2019 Student Council representatives are available on blackboard and are due at noon on April 5

Sarah McKee sets new freshman scoring record

Klara Bergholtz

More stories from Klara Bergholtz

McKee with a shot attempt against Elyria on Feb. 1

Russ Gifford

Russ Gifford

The win over Elyria isn’t the only thing that Sarah McKee and her Medina Girls Basketball teammates will remember when they think back on the game the played on Feb. 1, 2018. They will remember it as the night that McKee broke the freshman scoring record of 154 points.

When the MGB teams entered Elyria High School on Thursday night they had a feeling that something big was about to happen. Of course they wanted to get a win against their conference opponents, but they also knew that their freshman teammate McKee was four points away from breaking the freshman scoring record.

When McKee finally made her fourth point of the game in the third quarter, all MGB supporters in the gym, including parents, teammates and coaches, raised from their seats to cheer her on. All you could see was a smile on everyone’s face, with Sarah McKee wearing the biggest smile of them all.

“It feels great to know that all my hard work has paid off,” stated McKee who now holds the freshman scoring record of 218  points.

The record was previously held by Katie Richardson who graduated in 2004. Before Richardson, Caroline McCombs who graduated in 1994 held the record of (back then) 122 points. Another freshman that has been close to the record was Lindsey Linard who put in 101 points last year.

As the season has advanced, McKee has earned her spot in the starting line up alongside juniors Alexa Nau, Abby McMullen, Madison Luthy and sophomore Lindsey Linard. She is one of three freshmen on the varsity team this season and doesn’t only have the most points among the freshmen, but she is also the best scorer on the whole team. Head Coach Karen Kase is more than happy about McKee’s contributions, which is more than “just” the points.

“We are so proud of Sarah for what she has done this season – not just for her points but helping us in all other categories as well,” stated Kase. “She is a great athlete, versatile, confident, plays multiple positions and is one of our top defenders at any position.”

Breaking the freshman scoring record is definitely a highlight from McKee’s freshman season. Still, the one thing that she will remember most is all the fun times she has shared together with her teammates, who are happy that McKee has had such a successful season.

“Sarah is a beast, I love Sarah,” stated junior Madison Luthy, who returned to the starting line up together with McKee after suffering a sprained ankle mid-season.

Even though the freshman scoring record wasn’t originally a goal for McKee at the beginning of the season, it became a big one when she was notified by the coaches that she was getting close. Now when she has accomplished it, McKee is setting her eyes on tournament and will focus more on the team goals.

“It has been really fun to share this fun experience with my teammates. We have played really well as a team,” stated McKee about her freshman season.

At the same time, McKee is thinking about future seasons and goals that she would like to achieve during her three coming years at Medina High School, like beating the all time Medina Girls Basketball scoring record of 1 287 points.

The coaches have confidence that McKee’s success will continue throughout her four years at MHS. Kase believes that this accomplishment is just the beginning of a very successful high school basketball career.

“Her freshman scoring record is definitely an amazing accomplishment but she is just getting started, too,” stated Kase. “By the time she is a senior, we may be watching one of the best players to ever play for Medina High School.”