Shakespeare comes to life in the classroom

Liddy Thies, Staff Writer

How do students enjoy a piece of literature written over 400 years ago? Is it even realistic to expect that? The actors from the Great Lakes Theater make it possible for the students of Medina High School to love pieces of classic literature from authors like Shakespeare.

From Feb. 2-6, the Great Lakes Theater School Residency Program came to Medina High School’s Honors Sophomore Language Arts, A.P. Literature and Composition and Rhetoric and Composition classes. Organized by MHS teacher, Mrs. Itibrout, actors came to the classes of Mr. Wetherbee and Mrs. Offenberger to perform Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Not only did these actors perform themselves, but the students performed with them. The program is designed for students to better understand the challenging literature.

When asked, what does the Great Lakes Theater bring for our English department? Mrs. Itibrout stated that, “Shakespeare is required almost every year for English, so I think it’s important to understand and appreciate Shakespeare instead of just getting it over with. Shakespeare is meant to be performed. This way, we get to perform it as students and discuss it.”

Michael Silverstein and Chennell Bryant-Harris were just two of the actors who came to Medina High School and interacted with the students. They brought with them dozens of costumes, props, swords, and even fake blood. By assigning the various roles – characters, trees, animals, ghosts, etc.- of Macbeth to the students, and having the whole class act out together, the once gruesome work by Shakespeare came to life.

The Great Lakes Theater School Residency was founded in 1981, and is known as one of the top artist-in-residence program in the country. They offer a variety of stories and plays to perform for over 16,000 students and 100 schools each year.