Stepsis to the track

Stepsis to the track

Allison Senger, Staff Writer

Hey Medina, a new track coach is running your way.

Tobin Stepsis is Medina High School’s health teacher, Medina football’s defensive coordinator, and soon going to take on Medina Track and become the new boys head track coach. Mr. Stepsis will be replacing veteran track coach Bob Jenkins, of eleven years, and joining the returning track crew of Coach Place – distance, Coach Fasko – hurdles, and Coach Moner – pole vault.

Although Mr. Stepsis did not personally run as an athlete on the track team, he did compete as a javelin thrower at Ashland University. He also has experience as a coach of the sprinters at Perry High School, in Massillon – where he taught for two years.

When asked about being a head coach, Mr. Stepsis replied with, “In terms of wanting to be the head track coach, I don’t look at it like that. I more look at it like, I can help the kids accomplish some of the goals that they set. Plus, I’m working along side some of the best (coaches) that are already here.”

Medina boys track has been fairly successful in the past. In the past five years the boys have placed 4th or higher in the N.O.C. Conference, 4th or higher in Districts and have qualified twice for the Ohio State Tournament.

Currently, Coach Stepsis has the team conditioning for the season which started Monday, March 9th. “It all comes down to, how can I help the individuals achieve their personal goals and I think that comes through a consistent work ethic and that’s something I think I can help bring.”