The Walk to End Alzheimer’s: A garden of white flowers

This is an image of Stephanie Mueller, the coordinator of the Medina Walk, speaking about the future of a "white garden".

Hannah Petrosky, Reporter

This is an image of the participants in the Walk to End Alzheimer's.

They woke up. They looked around and found themselves in an unfamiliar room. On the dresser a picture sat. They did not know who the photo was of. Next to the photo is a white vase of blue flowers. They wonder who they are from. A smiling face walks in the room. They do not know the person’s name. The smile turns to a frown as the person explains that they are indeed their best friend.

5 million Americans go through this everyday. It is known as Alzheimer’s Disease. On Sept. 8th, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., participants of the “Walk to End Alzheimer’s” walked in neighborhoods around the Medina High School’s Recreational Center to spread awareness of Alzheimer’s.

Many people attended the walk in support of a relative, or friend, and spread the word about Alzheimer’s. Many even sent letters to Congress in  support of Alzheimer’s research funding.

“There are so many people that are affected,” Stephanie Mueller, coordinator for the Medina Walk, stated, “It’s really devastating to families, our finances, and our future, so it’s important for people to take note and realize that this disease is challenging people.”

The Alzheimer’s Association has created a “garden of flowers”, each color of flower representing something different. The blue one represents a person with Alzheimer’s or Dementia, purple stands for someone who has lost their battle against the disease, yellow represents a caretaker of a person with the disease, and orange represents everyone who supports the cause of a world without Alzheimer’s. The goal of the Alzheimer’s Association is to create a “garden of white flowers”, which represent the survivors of Alzheimer’s.

“I’ve seen how devastating the disease can be and I’m here to help families so no one else has to lose a loved one to this disease,” Mueller explains as to why she is “so passionate” about the disease.

The Alzheimer’s Association supports those with Alzheimer’s by urging for more research funding from Congress, and providing free programs funded by donations made to the organization.

Mueller stated, “All the programs and services we offer for free, and certainly funding is great if they’re willing to make a donation. It really helps us to be able to provide those programs for free.”

The Alzheimer’s Association uses events like “The Walk to End Alzheimer’s” to raise awareness of the disease and support the families of those affected. To learn more about the Alzheimer’s Association, visit their website at www.alz.org.