The aftermath of football games

Hannah Petrosky, Reporter

As the clock counts down the final seconds, the crowd cheers and jumps in excitement. Screams of joy are heard from the Medina High School football fans as the team won against it’s opponent. The crowd celebrates while walking out of the stadium, talking about their favorite plays of the night. As they look back at the stadium, what do they see? Garbage is thrown about everywhere; bleachers drenched with baby powder and nacho cheese. Who’s going to clean it up? The answer was found Saturday September 1st, 2018, when  Medina High School’s Key Club had their first annual stadium clean up at 8:00 a.m. lead by the advisor, Mrs. Cheyney.

“Probably The Swarm,” Senior student, Jacob Persic, responded in response to the worst part of the clean up, “Especially underneath, there were a lot of bottles. I probably picked up forty or fifty bottles, and there were eight things [bottles] of baby powder.”

Every football game has a theme for the students to dress by. This particular game’s theme was “White-Out”. Students showed this theme with bringing baby powder and feathers to the game, leaving the bleachers completely covered with powder.

Key Club advisor, Mrs. Cheyney, stated, “The Swarm was terrible with the trash and the feathers and the baby powder and the bottles. Even under the stands where we couldn’t get in there. We were literally crawling over the metal beams to get in and get everything.”

Students who volunteered for the clean up crawled under the bleachers in baby powder to get the garbage. The bleachers have crossing metal beams crossing, causing the clean up to be difficult. Bees on the ground, the possibility of inhaling baby powder, and crawling over beams make the task dangerous.

“They don’t think it’s their job to pick something up because they assume and they know somebody else will,” Mrs. Cheyney said whilst trying to understand the reason people do not throw away their trash.

There are trash cans by every exit from the stadium and at the bottom of most bleachers. Fans will pass a trash bin at some point while exiting. It only takes a few seconds to throw away something.

“Just take the trash that you have and just throw it in the trash can. If everybody could just throw away their bottle, we probably wouldn’t even have to come out here at all,” Jacob Persic stated.

If everyone would do their part in throwing away their garbage, Key Club volunteers would not have as much work to do. Key Club members do not expected football attendees to pick up small pieces of garbage, but would like if they picked up bigger things, such as bottles, nacho trays, and popcorn containers.

If the citizens of Medina would pick up their garbage before exiting a football game, it would take a load off of volunteers’ and other custodians’ work. All it takes is one person to do the right thing to make a difference.