Race with Grace

Jacob Novicky, Reporter

More stories from Jacob Novicky

picture taken by Emily Beal

picture taken by Emily Beal

picture taken by Emily Beal

Ready, Set, Go!

The 14th annual Race with Grace 5k and one mile fun walk was on Sunday Sept.16 at Medina Hospital. The event started as a way for the Mary Grace Memorial Foundation to honor beloved community member Mary Grace after she died of cancer in 2004.

The Race with Grace board meets year round to plan for the race and to come up with new ideas for the event, down to the color of the shirts. This foundation helps families who are battling cancer by paying mortgage, rent, utility bills, and other payments so that the families can focus on fighting the disease.

Attendance was great, and the event was a huge success, with a total of 37 teams registered to run. The largest of which, called the SFX Navigators had 153 team members!!!!

There were many different organizations at the race this year including Courthouse Pizza, Buffalo Wild Wings, Title Boxing, Eat N park, and the Kona Ice company. They all gave out free goodies to the runners!

2018-2019 was a record-breaking year for the Race with Grace, thanks to the 1482 attendees! Moreover, these patrons had the pleasure of selecting ducks from a duck pond and testing their luck. According to whichever number they received, they got a prize- what fun!

First, second, and third place finishers in each age group received a medal (and first place finishers also got a rose bush). If you ran in the Medina Runs Down Cancer series which were  Collin Cares Race , Medina Half Marathon and 5k , and the Race with Grace you won a Medina Runs Down Cancer medal. All in all, it was a successful day for a worthy cause at the Race with Grace!

On Oct. 2nd the Medina High School volleyball team will be hosting their annual ACE for Grace event, and all of the proceeds went to the Mary Grace Foundation. The organization usually raises about four to five thousand dollars.

They hope to see you next year at the 15th annual Race with Grace next September.