Top 18 movies for the rest of 2018

Jordan Walker, Reporter

More stories from Jordan Walker

Holiday Movie Showdown
December 7, 2018
Image+courtesy+of+Flickr+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 18 movies for the rest of 2018

Image courtesy of Flickr

Image courtesy of Flickr

Image courtesy of Flickr

Image courtesy of Flickr

The time for summer blockbusters is over, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any good movies to see. Some of the most underrated and overlooked movies come out in the fall. The fall has something for everybody from suspenseful indie films to big scale superhero movies to flicks for the whole family. Without further adieu, here are the top 18 movies to see for the rest of 2018.

Dramas & Biopics

• “Bohemian Rhapsody”

This biopic will appeal to lovers of all things music. It follows the journey of the band Queen and the life of the deceased lead singer, Freddie Mercury. Queen is known for their foot-stomping anthems and revolutionary performances, so this movie is sure to have the same effect. “Bohemian Rhapsody” rocks theaters November 2nd.

• “Searching”

“Searching” is an indie film about a teenage girl who went missing and her father’s journey to not only find where she is but, who she is. This movie flew under many people’s radars, but promises suspense and mystery with every new discovery. It will appeal to those who are looking for more of an unconventional yet thrilling movie. “Searching” is out in theaters now.

• “The Hate U Give”

“The Hate U Give” is about a girl named Starr whose best friend gets shot by a police officer. Starr then has to deal with life without him but also without trust of the law. This movie gives off an empowering message with romantic undertones. It will be sure to empower anyone and everyone.  “The Hate U Give” hits theaters October 12th.

• “First Man”

The second and final biopic on this list will appeal to the fans of the Oscar nominated movies. “First Man” boasts a star-studded cast and a classic story of a man who risks everything.  Ryan Gosling plays the legendary Neil Armstrong. The visuals in this movie look stunning and from what we have seen so far it really takes you back to the era of the space race. “First Man” lands in theaters  October 12th.

• “Welcome to Marwen”

In this movie you can be laughing one minute and crying the next. “Welcome to Marwen” is about a WWII veteran who copes with his PTSD in very unique way. Steve Carell has shown off his breathtaking performance in the trailers that give goosebumps to even the most stone cold viewers. “Welcome to Marwen” comes out December 21st.

Fantasy & Sci-Fi

• “Venom”

“Venom” will act as a superhero lover’s mid-day snack as this is one of the last of its genre this year. Although it is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “Venom” is about one of the most iconic villains in superhero history. This movie will serve as an origin story for the anti-hero as he is being called since he is not the antagonist. From the looks of it “Venom” will be a little darker than your average superhero movie as is the character Venom himself. “Venom” is in theatres now.

• “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”

If you’re more of a Potterhead, “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” is just for you. It is a sequel to the “Fantastic Beasts” spinoff of 2016. This time Newt Scamander is accompanied by a young Dumbledore and even more beasts. Newt is enlisted by Dumbledore to stop Grindelwald from spreading the idea that magic users should rule over muggles. “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” comes out on November 10th and it would be a crime not to see it.

• “Aquaman”

“Aquaman” is the final superhero movie of 2018 and looks to be packing quite the punch. This movie is the story of a king fighting to take back his kingdom of Atlantis while also protecting humans. Jason Momoa’s take on the character surprised viewers in last year’s “Justice League,” and many are hopeful for this movie to do the same. All the trailers make it look like DC was saving its best for last. “Aquaman” splashes into theaters December 21st.

• “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”

This is Disney’s twist on the classic Christmas story of “The Nutcracker”. This movie is like the recent “Alice in Wonderland” movies, in where Disney keeps the bare bones of the story but tweeks it and makes it much darker and more fantastical. If you were a fan of those, this is the perfect Christmas movie for you. “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” cracks it way to theaters November 2nd.

• “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

This movie is not for the casual superhero fan. “Into the Spider-Verse” is very different than most superhero movies because it is animated in the style of a comic. It is about an alternate reality version of Spider-man named Miles Morales. Miles is struggling with being Spider-Man when he meets Peter Parker and a multitude of other Spider-Men. Miles has to learn how to be his own version of Spider-Man while also fighting the bad guys with his fellow Spider-Man. “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” swings into theaters December 14th.

Comedy

• “Mary Poppins Returns”

We are in a time of reboots and re-imaginings and surprisingly this movie is not one. This is sequel to the beloved “Mary Poppins” movie from 1964. As the title suggests, “Mary Poppins Returns” to help out adult Michael and Jane when they lose a loved one. This time Mary Poppins takes Michael’s children along for the adventure. Like the first one, this movie’s cast looks phenomenal; Emily Blunt will be playing Mary Poppins and along side her Lin-Manuel Miranda is Burt. “Mary Poppins Returns” flys on in with an umbrella on December 19th.

• “Holmes and Watson”

“Holmes and Watson” is not what you would expect from the title. This is a comedic take on the classic literary characters from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. “Holmes and Watson” brings back the duo from Step-Brothers of John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell. Holmes and Watson will be solving cases as usual but this movie adds a lot of slapstick along with references to present day. This movie is perfect for anyone looking for dumb humor. “Holmes and Watson” solves its way into theaters December 21st.

• “Ralph Breaks The Internet”

This sequel to “Wreck-It Ralph” looks to have something for every member of the family as it jam packed with references to internet culture along with everything Disney. “Ralph Breaks The Internet” is about the arcade characters discovering the internet and all the crazy things that come with it. Its trailers have quite intentionally broke the internet, especially the parts with all the Disney princesses. “Ralph Breaks The Internet” appears on the big screen on November 21st.

Action

• “Creed II”

Just like Adonis has a lot to live up to, “Creed” was said to be the best of the Rocky movies, so “Creed II” has a lot to live up to. Michael B. Jordan reprises his role as Adonis Creed who goes toe to toe with Viktor Drago. Viktor is the sun of the man who killed Adonis’ father, Ivan Drago. This movie has a lot of promise and looks like another great addition to the Rocky/Creed franchise. “Creed II” left-hooks its way to theaters on November 21st.

• “The Predator” 

This movie brings “The Predator” to the 21st century and should be a must see for all action fans. In this installment to the franchise, a little boy triggers the universe’s most skilled hunters to return to Earth and a ragtag band of soldiers must take down the Predator to stop him from hunting down every human on Earth. “The Predator” is out now.

• “Robin Hood”

This isn’t the Robin Hood you remember from when you were little with the fox and the bear, no, this Robin Hood is dark, gritty, and extreme. This movie takes a heist movie approach on the classic story, tweaking it to make the character and story more edgy. This movie looks perfect for anyone who loves dark and brooding movies with breathtaking action shots. “Robin Hood” shoots its way to theaters November 21st.

Horror

• “The Nun”

“The Nun” is part of the ever expanding “Conjuring” universe. It is about a demon who takes the form of a nun and forces the nuns in the covent she haunts to kill themselves. A priest, a nun in training, and a farmer are the ones who have to stop her, all while being tortured by the demon’s hallucinations and hauntings. “The Nun” is very erie and adds even more to the lore of the “Conjuring” universe. The Nun haunts theaters now.  

• “Halloween”

“Halloween” (2018) brings back Jamie Lee Curtis as her iconic character of Laurie Strode to confront Michael Myers for the last time. After the last few movies in the series, fans had lost hope but this movie might just reignite that hope. It looks like it captures the true feeling of horror and fear you should experience on Halloween. “Halloween” creeps its way to theaters on October 19th.

Jordan Walker, Reporter

Hi! My name is Jordan Walker, and I am a sophomore at MHS. This is my first year on The Medinamite! I am the oldest of four brothers, and I am normally...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Top 18 movies for the rest of 2018”

1. Laura on October 11th, 2018 9:38 am

Great list! Looking forward to Bohemian Rhapsody.

2. Emma Davis on October 11th, 2018 1:50 pm

Me too! Thank you for commenting!

3. Debra Atkinson on October 11th, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you Jordan for your informative and in depth review of the upcoming movies. I look forward to going and seeing several of these.

4. Emma Davis on October 11th, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks Debra! We look forward to updating you on more upcoming films!!!!

Top 18 movies for the rest of 2018