Holding hands and blocking halls

Rachel Hlad, Staff Writer

At almost any high school, it isn’t hard to spot couples holding hands or kissing between classes. PDA, otherwise known as Personal Display of Affection, at school, has always been a controversial issue with students, parents, teachers and principals.

There have been anti-PDA rules for the past 20 years (or more), but it is unknown as to how many schools follow the guidelines.

Although there are no rules specifically related to PDA, rule number two in the Student Discipline section of the Student Handbook states, “[D]o not gather in groups so that passage through the halls is made difficult.”

“You’re too young to be showing PDA in the hallway,” said Spanish teacher Mr. Porras. Porras is not the first teacher to stop couples in the hall while they were PDA(ing). “They were making out in front of my classroom,” laughed Porras.

“PDA becomes a problem if [couples] are blocking traffic. Otherwise if they stick in the corner and stay out of peoples way, it’s usually fine,” said an MHS senior who wished to remain anonymous. “I recommend they do it outside of school.”

A junior at MHS stated that PDA becomes a problem if it is done excessively. The junior referred back to rule number two and said PDA has gone too far when you are “blocking people’s way.”

Some schools are more strict than others. In 2007, an eighth grader, Megan Coulter from Illinois, received two detentions for hugging a friend. Coulter made national headlines and even was invited on as a guest on NBC’s Today Show.

Although Medina does not have strict written restrictions on PDA, there will always be limits on what will and will not be allowed in school. Ultimately, the most important factor in determining if something in school should be allowed is whether or not it distracts other students.