• Boys Soccer State Champions( first one ever)!!!

• The 2018-19 Medinamite is up and going!!

6.02 x 10^23 Nerdy Pals

Emma Davis, Senior Editor

March 23rd. A day on which all chemists rejoice- Mol Day. On Tuesday I had the pleasure of attending MHS’ Chemistry Club’s biggest event of the year. Mol Day is a celebration of the unit chemistry revolves around: the mol. One mol is equivalent to 6.02 x 10^23 particles, and many people who enjoy science celebrate on March 23rd for this reason. It’s a fun, quirky time-honored tradition at MHS, and is typically the most well-attended event of Chem Club.

Now that you know what Mol Day is, what does a typical Mol Day party look like at MHS? Here in Medina, we split the party into several scientific activities. Various teachers around the building help out with the stations; including Ms. Leuthold, Mr. Thompson, and Mrs. Niemo. Activities range from trying to measure out exactly one mol of water, or one mol of aluminum foil, to a fitness challenge where young chemists did push ups to become the ultimate champions. Another fascinating activity is the “name that element” activity, where you try to determine what the proper symbol is for an element is. The jewel of Mol Day, however, is the “Miss-A-Mole-ica” pageant , modeled after the “Miss America” pageant . Students sew animal moles, as a play upon the scientific unit, in various ways. The winning mole was thanks to Aidan Brandt, who created a mole out of a potato! Some fascinating other designs are a Finding Nemo mole, a Harry Potter mole, and a Nightmare Before Christmas mole.

Senior Natalie Claus mentioned that her favorite part of mol day is “playing all the fun games and hanging out with friends.” She, along with many other students, enjoy the club’s social activities, as well as their science experiments! Learning about chemistry can be fun, and Mol Day gives students an opportunity to do so in a unique way, so next time you wonder what something is made up of- think of the mol!

Emma Davis, Senior Editor

Hello! My name is Emma Davis, and I am a senior here at MHS. I am currently Co-Consul for the second year in a row for Latin Club, and am on an executive...