The Controversy over “Ye”

Iris Paterson, Reporter

Singer, designer, husband, and father Kanye West announced his name change on Sept. 29. West will now only be known as Ye.

West posted on Twitter, “the being formerly known as Kanye West I am YE”. He also changed the name on his Twitter profile to Ye.

People are speculating the name change was to promote his new album set to launch on Nov 23, titled Yandhi. Yandhi was supposed to be released Sept 29, but had to be pushed back due to the album not being completed on time. His latest album is also titled Ye.

On an interview done in February with radio host Big Boy, Ye stated why he decided to use the new name. “I believe ‘ye’ is the most commonly used word in the Bible, and in the Bible it means ‘you’,” he said. “So I’m you, I’m us, it’s us. It went from Kanye, which means ‘the only one’, to just Ye — just being a reflection of our good, our bad, our confused, everything.”

This isn’t the first largely questioned decision by the rapper; there is quite a large amount of controversy surrounding him. Time and time again he makes bold moves that many have strong opinions on. For example, Ye posted on Twitter following his appearance on Saturday Night Live, suggesting the 13th amendment, banning slavery, should be abolished. During his performance on SNL, Ye gave a speech defending Donald Trump, sparking more debate over the artist.

“It’s so many times that I talk to a white person about this, and they say, ‘How could you support Trump? He’s racist.’ Well if I was concerned about racism, I would have moved out of America a long time ago,” stated Ye after cameras turned off at SNL. The video of this speech was posted by comedian Chris Rock, gaining popularity quickly.  Overall, we at the Medinamite find it intriguing that such a famous rapper can be so controversial. Let us know your thoughts on the matter!

Iris Paterson, Reporter

Hi, I'm Iris Paterson, and I'm a sophomore here at Medina High School! This is my first year working on The Medinamite. I joined because I want to have...