Win the Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Win the Day

Russ Gifford

Russ Gifford

Russ Gifford

Jacob Novicky, Reporter

The girls basketball team has reloaded, and is ready to take the next step forward this season. This year, the Lady Bees have nine returning seniors. Last year, the team posted a record of 15-10, going 7-7 in the conference. They had a good playoff run, but fell short to Berea-Midpark ( 58-46) in the district semi-finals.

The team has been preparing to take the next step, looking to win the Greater Cleveland Conference (GCC). Senior Madison Luthy states “we have been practicing everyday on defensive, shooting, and pushing the ball in transition.”

According to senior Alexa Nau, the key to winning the GCC is ¨ having good defensive, good team chemistry and rebounding. We are all capable of that.  I think we are going to win this year. I am very confident.”

Every player has their least favorite place to play, for sophomore Alison Dwyer, that place is Brunswick. “I don’t like Brunswick or the rivalry with them.  I just don’t like the atmosphere.”

Coaching the girls basketball team is an honor according to Coach Kase.  “I love coaching at Medina. This will be my sixth year as girls coach, and the neat thing for me is that I was a student athlete here; it was kind of like coming home. It is special to be able to still coach for my alma mater, to help the program on all three levels, and to help the girls achieve their goals is a really good feeling.”

Every season players always have something that they are looking forward to.  This year Madison Luthy, being her senior year, is looking forward to “being with the team the entire year”. She loves everyone on the team, and it is hard for her to think about it being her last year.  She is also looking forward to playing with all of her teammates again. She hopes to finish strong and to do well in the tournament!

Coach Kase states that the Lady Bees are ready for a another great season. “We return almost everybody from last years team,so we are a little bit ahead of the curve but we can’t take anything for granted.  They have good chemistry but we need to Win the Day (motto) and really take care of business on a day to day basis.¨

This year the Lady Bees will be traveling to Orlando, Florida for a tournament during winter break.

The lady bees home opener was on Nov. 24th against Amherst Steele which they won 51-45. Come cheer on the girls to victory at their next home game on Wednesday November 28th at 7:30 pm against Strongsville!

Jacob Novicky, Reporter

Hi! My name is Jacob Novicky, I’m a Junior here at Medina High School.This is my second year on The Medinamite, and I'm so excited to be a part of the...