A.L.I.C.E- What Does it Stand for?

Reilley Banning, Junior Editor

A.L.I.C.E drills are helpful in many ways, but what actually are they? As a new student, I had no idea what the drills were, so I asked around! Most students know that it’s an intruder drill, but I still wondered what the acronym A.L.I.C.E stands for, and what happens during the drill. So I went digging for the answers around the school. Here’s what I found out.

First I did some research, like what does A.L.I.C.E stand for? A.L.I.C.E is an acronym. The A stands for alert, L stands for Lockdown, I for inform, C for counter, and E for evacuate. This is a common name that students say when we know a lockdown drill is coming, but when we performed the first one of the year, I as a curious person asked what it stood for, and no one actually knew the full acronym.

Next, I asked how students feel about A.L.I.C.E drills, and how we at Medina High School conduct them. Beth Fazio stated that “We (the students) tend to not take it seriously, and it’s not a very accurate representation of how we would react in a real situation.” Other students tended to agree with her that students do not take A.L.I.C.E drills seriously, or at least not as seriously as they should. “Nobody really takes it seriously, because they don’t think a real threat would ever happen here.” said Katrina Barnes. This I feel is a big issue, because school shootings are becoming more and more common, and people need to be prepared for the worst. I’m sure students at Columbine and Parkland thought that no one would ever “shoot up” their school but it happened.

So is it time for Medina’s staff and students to start taking drills like this more seriously. Maybe we should have a real discussion about what to really do in a school shooting situation. I believe we all need to be prepared because we never know what could happen. Stay safe Medina!

Reilley Banning, Reporter

Hi, my name is Reilley Banning. I am a Junior, and this is my first year writing for The Medinamite. In my free time, I dance at Elite, and am also a...