Together: Medina Boys Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Together: Medina Boys Basketball

Jacob Novicky, Reporter

The Medina boys basketball team has reloaded from last year, having a young team with only three seniors. This year, they are looking to get back to regionals just like in 2017.

Last year, the team had a record of 8-17 going 2-12 in the Greater Cleveland Conference (GCC) and had a good playoff run by beating Normandy and winning at Brunswick. Unfortunately, the Bees fell short in the District Semifinals game to St. Ignatius (58-55).

The role of leadership on the team will be in the hands of senior Drew Hassinger. Hassinger stated, “I think I am ready for it, it will help a lot that the people respect me and we are all teammates.”

Junior standout guard Kyle Szumski is also ready to take on a leadership role, Szumski comments, “I have become more of a leader, and talking more and helping the young kids.”

Every season, teams set goals that they want to accomplish during the season. For this year, the goals according to Coach Hassinger are “to get our kids to compete at a high level. We know we have some talent this year. We aren’t going to measure our season on wins and losses; we are going to measure how hard we compete. We have another tough schedule this year and we believe we can win any game that we are in.”

Kyle Szumski has been playing on the varsity level since freshman year, and is ready to help all of the new players. “I can help them because of all my experience,” Szumski says, “It’s faster pace game and they have to get used to it.”

Medina basketball has positively impacted the life of Drew Hassinger. He said that, “Through all of the service projects and everything that we do with the community shows me and let me connect with others through great relationships.”

How can this year’s team grow from last year’s experience? “We have so much more depth, we have a lot of kids that can play this year, a lot of kids we can count on,” Hassinger feels. “Our younger kids have a lot more varsity experience, and the biggest kicker is we can shoot the ball.”

The boy’s basketball team is anxiously waiting for the start of the season. “I am looking forward to winning a lot of games and our annual trip we are going to Florida this year which will be fun with all of the guys on the team,” stated Szumski.

The team will be traveling to Florida during Winter Break for a tournament the second year in a row, and will be starting the season with three tough road games. Keep an eye out for the game against Licking Heights at Midview High School on Dec. 1, Dec. 7 at Euclid, and Dec. 8 against Revere at Barberton High School. Our first home game will be on Friday, Dec. 14 against conference rival Elyria.

Jacob Novicky, Reporter

Hi! My name is Jacob Novicky, I’m a Junior here at Medina High School.This is my second year on The Medinamite, and I'm so excited to be a part of the...