Achoo! Straight A’s and SIck Days

HelgaKa

Tera Roberts, Reporter

With flu season currently in full force, the importance of washing your hands, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and staying home when you have a fever cannot be stressed enough. Due to the colder weather, and winter fastly approaching, the overall humidity is much lower, causing the air to be dry. Adjusting to the change of the humidity can cause more people to get sick. The influenza virus, for example, is known to strive better in colder, less humid climates.  If you have a temperature higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, or severe cough and cold symptoms, it’s recommended that you stay home from school to help prevent the spread of germs, but also to protect the health of the students and teachers around you as well as their own families at home. When does this get in the way of your education, and what can you do if you find yourself stuck with the flu, and missing too much school?

Notify your teachers via email for classes that might have a test or project due during the time you’re at home sick. Check what each teacher puts on Blackboard for important dates and assignments, so you know you’re caught up and not drowning in more work in the long run.

If you share a class with a friend, ask them to send you any notes they might’ve taken. Once you’re back at school you won’t be completely confused and have an idea about what’s going on.

Senior Lauren Dalton explained exactly what she does when she has sick days home from school.  “I try my best to get everything together beforehand if I know I’m starting to not feel well. If it’s a sudden sickness, the day I come back I check in with my teachers and find time to make up my assignments”, explains Lauren.

It’s perfectly reasonable to ask your teachers for any extra help! The standard rule most teachers have at Medina High School is that you get as many days as you missed to make up any assignments. Just make sure your absences are excused, and that a parent calls the attendance office to inform them that you’re not skipping for any unprobable reason.

It’s important to get plenty of sleep and drink tons of liquids when you’re sick, and staying home allows you the time to do so. Not only is it important for your own health and safety, but also the health and safety of others.

Senior Robert Olszewski mentioned how he also asks his teachers for any notes or assignments he may have missed.

“I try and set aside time the following day to catch up on work at home, before school or in study halls.”

No worries, there are many ways to prevent getting sick, including flu shots or just simply washing your hands more frequently. The typical “flu season” begins around the middle of November and can continue to occur as late as May. Stay healthy and get your flu shot!

Tera Roberts, Reporter

Hi, my name is Tera Roberts, and I'm a senior this year at Medina High School. In my free time I like hanging out with my friends, making coffee and listening...