Holiday Movie Showdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Holiday Movie Showdown

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

Jordan Walker, Reporter

The holiday season is a upon us and you can’t have the holidays without holiday movies. The Medinamite wanted to know your favorite. Thus, we made 4 polls with 4 movies each; the winner of each poll going on to the final poll where we determined the favorite Holiday movie of Medina High. The polls were on the Medinamite Twitter.  

Deciding the top 16 Holiday movies was a grueling process. I thought of all of the movies that I watch during the Holiday season. Then I asked around to family and friends to make sure I didn’t forget any and finally I had my 16 (look on the Medinamite twitter to see them all). The next step was to put them into categories, the 4 categories were: classic animated, classic, comedy, and new animated. I put one of each in the four original polls and let the people of Medina High decide.

The first poll saw The Polar Express coming out on top by a mere 9% just beating Christmas Vacation. Also in that poll was A Charlie Brown Christmas in third place and Miracle on 34th street in fourth. The next poll was dominated by the Christmas comedy, Elf, with 73% of the votes. The rest of the movies fell way short with The Santa Clause coming in at second, It’s a Wonderful Life in third and A Year Without Santa Claus in fourth. The third poll had the movie with the highest percent of votes in any poll, with 75%. That movie is The Grinch, whether it’s Jim Carrey or the classic animated version, Medina High loves The Grinch. Coming in second, third, and fourth were Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and White Christmas, respectfully. The fourth poll had Home Alone come out on top beating out Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Christmas Carol which had the lowest percent in any poll with 1%.

I now had my final four: Elf, The Grinch, Home Alone, and The Polar Express. The final poll was pretty close. In fourth place overall was The Polar Express, in third place was Home Alone and just barely beating Home Alone was The Grinch by 2%. The favorite holiday movie of Medina High School is Elf with 40% of the votes in the final poll. It seems teenagers just cannot resist the light-hearted humor of Will Ferrell’s Elf. The movie probably has a good nostalgic factor being that it was released when some of us were very little.

Regardless of your favorite movie, the holidays are a great time to get together with your family or friends and enjoy these holiday movies along with a cup of cocoa and a lot of blankets. They all convey the spirit of the season in their own unique ways. Thanks to all who voted and got the word out about this poll and Happy Holidays from the Medinamite.