Country of the Week: Nepal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Country of the Week: Nepal

India Today

India Today

India Today

Brian Dreifke, Reporter

I’ve wanted to see the world for a long time, and I plan to in the future. I love to kick back and relax, so that’s why Nepal is one of the top countries on my list to visit. Nepal is home to the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest. In the peaks of the famous mountain range are very old religious temples, most built by Buddhists over hundreds of years. Many people have taken excursions here to find peace or tranquility.

Thus, Nepal is one of the most peaceful countries in the world. Many people visit the capital of Kathmandu. The streets are busy and filled with rickshaws, people buying from vendors, and so much chaos. In between the rustle and bustle, you can find some of the world’s best Asian food, Buddhist culture, old temples, and monasteries. The medieval city of Kathmandu stands as one the most cultured cities in the Himalayan region. Nepal stands as one of the Buddhist religion’s holiest places. Hidden inside dense, Himalayan jungles are some of the oldest and most sacred temples in the world. Many of the world’s best hikers come to Nepal to hike the Himalayas to find these temples and visit old historical monuments.

Nepal is the origin of the Buddhist religion. According to Lonely Planet, the Maya Devi Temple is the mark of the Buddha. The Queen Maya Devi gave birth to the enlightened one, known as Siddhartha Gautama in 563 BC. Now in Nepal, people travel to holy land of Buddhism to achieve peace and serenity.

For all stressed high school students, I recommend a trip to Nepal. People of all cultures are known to travel here and leave in a state of peace. They make excursions up and down mountains and spend days in temples, all ending up with completely open minds.
Overall, Nepal is one of my top places to visit. With dense forests, high mountains and a history older than most, Nepal is definitely a country people should visit.