Gaming Club Review

Emma Davis, Senior Editor

Friday, December 14th I had the pleasure of attending Medina High School’s very own Gaming Club. The event took place in physics teacher Mr. Smith’s room, from 2:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. This club event was a huge contest to see who could become the supreme player in the new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game. As explained in the gaming article by The Medinamite staff member Jordan Walker, the game involves a massive crossover event with 78 different, classic, and beloved characters that join players together in competitive matches.

The event was marvelously well attended. When I entered the room, it was filled wall to wall with eager Gaming Club attendees, anxiously awaiting their turn at the controller to show everyone how it’s done. I had the privilege of being persuaded by Mr. Smith to attempt a round. It didn’t go too well, but hey – I’m a reporter, not a gamer!

To get the inside scoop on the club and on future plans, I interviewed the founder of Gaming Club, Caleb Carr. I asked him what makes someone create a club like Gaming Club.

Carr stated, “As someone who has grown up with and around video games, I’ve always found it hard to find people who also liked them. The world’s a big place, and helping other people find their people is the kind of legacy I want to leave, if any.” Carr’s legacy seemed a noble pursuit to me, and after attending the meeting, I found it to be an effective one, too. What I observed at the club can only be described as the deepest form of camaraderie. Students from different backgrounds, and with different interests, gathered for their shared passion for gaming.

The friendly competition included lighthearted disputes about which character is the best (Kirby, in particular, was the subject of much debate), as well as intense cheering when one player emerged victorious. The atmosphere was fun, supportive, and full of  laughter. 

Carr explains, “[The club] started last year with word of mouth; Mr. Smith told his classes. That’s been the backbone of our advertising. Having something on the morning announcements really helped increase our numbers. In the future, I’ll have social media for Gaming Club as a whole.”

This brought up one final query I had, which was simply, what’s your favorite game? Carr answered enthusiastically, “Celeste; aside from just being a fun and interesting game, the story is highly metaphorical for depression and anxiety. It even, in the game itself, teaches coping mechanisms!” For those of you interested in a game with intriguing and relevant metaphorical symbols, definitely check out his favorite game!

The club plans on branching out in the future with “more tournaments, more games, just more!” with a next meeting tentatively being scheduled for January 18th!

I then reached out to an attendee of Gaming Club to see how he felt about the event. I asked Nathan Nemerovsky why he joined, and he explained, “The simple answer is because I like video games, and I wanted to see what they would be doing at the meetings.” This seemed to go along with Carr’s theory that the main purpose of the club was to bring people together.

I asked what he thought of the meeting; Nemerovsky responded, “The first initial thing I saw was the T.V.s, and that surprised me. Then I saw the people, there were a lot of people, and it was surprising.” Nathan’s favorite game is The Last of Us, largely due to the original story, and the way it plays with your emotions. His response for what he thinks could be changed about the club is that it could have “maybe a more organized rotation for when people get to play; it was just chaos.”

Nothing’s perfect, but players and observers definitely felt that this event was an overwhelmingly fun time for all. I look forward to the next event, and hope to see our Medinamite readers there!