A Lonely Hearts Guide to Sweethearts

Reilley Banning, Junior Editor

Sweethearts is a time of love in the most romantic month of the year. For all you lovebirds out there this is a great time full of joy and being in a loving relationship, not having to worry about being single for Valentine’s Day or for the Sweethearts dance. But what about those of us scrambling to find a date but just can’t seem to get one?

As a single person I wondered what is the best way to survive romantic events without looking and feeling all alone. I did some research, and here are some of the best ways to get through this time.

The first thing in my opinion is take a chance; Sweethearts may be a Sadie Hawkins dance, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t ask the person you have your sights set on. If you don’t want to ask them as more than a friend, then you should be breezy.

You can always take the pressure off; say you want to go as friends. You’ll never know if you don’t try, the worst they can do is say “no”; that’s no big deal, it’s no harm no foul, am I right? Just roll it off your back. It may seem like the end of the world right then, but you’ll get past it.

“I’d say definitely go with a friend group or your best friend, because dances aren’t about dates, they’re about having fun with people you like,” said Sophomore Hannah Petrosky, who is decorating for the dance.

Another thing you can do to make being single at Sweethearts a blast is go in a group with your friends. Dances are stressful enough, with or without a date, I have always found that dances are way more fun just going in a group of my best single friends and having a good time.

Go get dressed up, have a night out and enjoy yourself, don’t worry about those couples surrounding you. Dance your heart out, enjoy yourself because you deserve it!

The one thing I will tell you is do not skip the dance, just because you don’t have a date does not mean that you can’t go. You will regret it if you don’t go, so go buy yourself a new pair of dancing shoes.

Enjoy your single life because it won’t last long. Find a group of friends, or ask that special someone to go with you, and have a blast. That’s what high school is all about!