Super Bowl Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Super Bowl Preview

Atlanta Super Bowl Twitter

Atlanta Super Bowl Twitter

Atlanta Super Bowl Twitter

Brian Dreifke, Reporter

Thirty-two National Football League teams play for two reasons. The love of football and the Lombardi Trophy. Thirty-two teams work as hard as they can to win as many as 16 games. Twelve teams are able to make the playoffs each season.

This season the top teams became the Kansas City Chiefs, the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Rams and finally the returning Super Bowl contenders, the New England Patriots. This season, the conference championship games were played by the best teams. All four conference championship teams were ranked first or second on both sides. The four best teams in the NFL became the final four.

The Saints vs the Rams was a very controversial game. In the beginning, the Saints came out very strong and it looked they would be heading to the Super Bowl. The Rams made a very poor start but came back and took the lead by three. This gave Drew Brees about two minutes to drive down the field and lead the team to the superbowl.

Drew threw to the right side of the field and his receiver was slammed into, also helmet to helmet contact. No flags went up in the air. This was clear pass interference, and also clear helmet to helmet contact, which is something the NFL has stressed all season. This led to the Saints kicking a field goal and tying the game. This instead sent them to overtime and Drew Brees threw an interception which gave the ball back to the Rams and a field goal would win it. Rams Kicker Greg Zuerlein then drilled a 57 yard field goal to send the rams to the Super Bowl.

On the other side in the AFC championship game between the Kansas City Chiefs and all too familiar New England Patriots it was a little better. It was a close game, but the Patriots stayed dominant all around in the first half. The score was still a touchdown difference. After an interesting back-and-forth second-half, and four lead changes in the fourth quarter, it was another tie. In overtime, the Patriots won the coin toss and drove down the field to go back to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots’ dynasty started 17 years ago when they played the St. Louis Rams in the Superbowl. It will be a good game and it is predicted that the Patriots look better to win. The Super Bowl will be held in Atlanta on February third. Don’t miss it or the halftime show including Adam Levine, Travis Scott, and Big Boi. Go Rams!

Brian Dreifke, Reporter

Hello everyone! My name is Brian Dreifke. This is my first year a part of The Medinamite, and I am very excited for this upcoming year. This is my Sophomore...