Students dance their way into a giving Spring Break

Emma Park and Liddy Thies

Missing class for a school wide dance party is not only fun, but a charitable event at Medina High School.

On Friday, March 27th, prior to Spring Break, all students have the option to participate in VOFT (Volunteer Opportunities for Teens) – which doubles as Medina High School’s dance marathon. The Dance Marathon is put on by VOFT, every two years, to raise money for a charitable organization(s). In order to participate, students have to raise fifty dollars – through donations and pledges. The pay off for raising that amount of money? Students dance and eat pizza for a full school day.

The VOFT dance marathon is a fun way students can give back to their community. MHS VOFT program coordinator, Mrs. Florian, describes VOFT as, “a great organization that allows kids to volunteer time for student organizations to give back.” This year over 500 students will participate on Friday. All totaled, they will raise over $25,000.

Profits from the Dance Marathon will be given to local charities like: The Wounded Warriors fund, the local blood drive, and the Jessica Lynn Schaffer scholarship fund .

Brittany Becka, Chris Davis, and Zeke Martin, the student leaders of VOFT, have planned a day MHS students won’t forget. To reward the participants, the charitable event will feature DJ Sparky B, who will put on an electric performance that will include strobe lights, fun music and prizes.

Refreshments including breakfast and lunch will also be given to the students throughout the day.